Monday, May 28, 2012

About Me - My Computer Habits and Interests

I hate these "About Me" pages... But, I think in this case, it might behoove you to know that I'm no expert when it comes to computer use or upgrading so, you won't get a lot of "Professional" technical advice from me. And, this is the first Toshiba I've ever owned, so I don't have a lot of tips and tricks to share with you in order to help you "pimp" or "trick-out" your computer so that it will look better, run faster, or make your life more efficient...

"Well, why in the hell am I on this stinkin' blog then?"

Well, hold on a minute and I'll tell you. Just relax and settle down...

This blog will benefit you because you will be getting the opinions and suggestions of an "average" (or intermediate) user and this will help you choose your next Cyberspace vehicle with care and precision.

I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did when I bought my first laptop computer which was a refurbished Compaq Presario that was only good for checking emails and typing letters. I got the computer cheap, but I could've put another hundred bucks to the money I spent and got a brand new computer with more horsepower (2 GBs of Ram) and a larger trunk space (320 GBs of Memory). But, I didn't know any better and I ended up with THAT piece of crap.

That Compaq probably only had 7 GBs of memory. Later, I bought a secondhand Dell Latitude D800 with a 40 GB hard drive (and I still have it) but the memory kept filling up quick and slowing me down since I save a lot of articles, pics, and have uploaded a lot of my music now - not to mention that the Dell was heavy as hell and crushed my pancreas whenever I was lying in bed surfing the Net.

But, I was dumb as hell and just wanted a laptop so I could "go mobile".

I didn't have an Iphone, Droid, tablet, or any of those fancy gadgets at the time - and, couldn't afford any of that stuff - so, I just wanted a laptop I could take with me to do research and work on my book whenever I had spare time. I didn't plan on my other interests being a factor in my purchases.

Don't ask about the book. It sucked like hell. And, I never finished revising it or editing it and I've moved on with my life.

These days, I enjoy surfing the Internet - researching and looking for useless information. I'm also a YouTube addict. I love surfing YouTube and watching music videos and "how-to" videos on personal development, spiritual development, and everything else. Sometimes, I might spend more than 18 hours on YouTube in a single day.

I used to play a lot of online poker and I may get back into that one day. I just hate to be obligated to spend $20 per month for the service right now. But, in the future, I'll need a computer that won't continuously freeze on me while I'm playing online like my old Compaq used to do. My Dell Latitude used to freeze up also, bu never as much as the Compaq.

I also have two Kodak PlaySport video cameras and I like taking pictures and making short videos of friends, events, and random things (like uptown Charlotte and plants and things) so, I definitely need a computer that can handle photo and video editing.

Every once and a while someone will need me to make a flyer or design something (or I'll get a bright idea to design something) so I need an "office" suite also.

And, of course, I watch DVDs and streaming video.

Most of the time, I'm using my computer while in bed but sometimes I put it on the coffee table or in the kitchen and watch a movie or videos while I'm cooking, eating, cleaning, or just chillin', so I a computer with long battery life is a plus. I don't like carrying power cords everywhere I go.

And, I don't know if I'm ever going to be an online gamer or not but I'll share that experience with you too if I decide to join "Need For Speed World". I'm interested in other computer games but Need For Speed Underground is by far my favorite.

So, those are my computer habits and interests. And, I like high-speed computers with a lot of memory.

Anyway...

Read this blog. Don't throw away your hard-earned money like I did. Don't buy these junk computers or waste your money on hardware and crap you don't need or get involved with these stores that don't give a damn about giving you good customer service. Let me be the guinea pig and do the research and sacrifice so you won't suffer the frustrations of dealing with the crap and headaches out there that other folks are going through. You already have enough to deal with everyday and your time is too valuable to waste chasing computers. 

Besides, I work in retail, I'm an Aries, and I don't owe anybody anything, so any "battle" or opposition that comes my way makes no difference to me.

The most important thing you should know is this: My first major laptop purchase is this Toshiba Satellite ,which I'm using right now, and most of my initial posts will be centered around my experiences with it. So, if you're thinking about an "entry level" computer - or, not sure if you should buy a Toshiba Satellite - then this blog with definitely help you in your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment