Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Peddle To The Medal - Ram Memory Test

If you've ever thought about adding more Ram memory to your computer but have been on the fence about whether or not you should get it because you weren't sure if it was a real benefit or if you were capable of installing it, then stop waffling and debating with yourself about it. Get it.

Last night, I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite from a 4GB Ram system to an 8GB Ram system by installing two 4GB Ram modules in that bad boy. And it only took me about two minutes! And that included opening the packages! 

Now, some installations require a little more work, but after reading some of the forums and comments online, I've come to realize that there are a bunch of damn amateurs out there installing Ram modules and telling other people how to do it! lol. Everybody's a computer pro these days. Hell, look at me! I'm an amateur and I'm telling You how easy it is.

But, it's true. It was easy as pie.

And, you can do it too. Just go online and research "how to install ram memory" in your particular computer. I'm sure somebody has a video. Also, you can google "how to install ram memory" in your computer and find some how-to info that way.

I went on YouTube days before and watched a few videos on how to install the modules, so that helped. Plus, I made sure I had the right tools (a Phillips screwdriver) ahead of time and handy so I wouldn't stress myself out hunting for "something that might work" as a makeshift tool.

Anyway, after I got the modules installed and the system up and running again, I didn't really notice a major difference as far as speed was concerned.

But, after loading a multitude of apps which included two video programs, MS Paint, twelve webpages, Solitaire, a word processor, the calculator, some pics, various YouTube videos, and saving a 1.35 GB file in under 10 minutes, I could see the difference.




There was no lag or hesitation at all. No pop-ups warning me that I was low on memory. No crashes or anything.The system ran smooth. And, I didn't even touch the virtual memory!

And, I should've kept my hands off of it. But, I couldn't resist.

According to Microsoft, if you have a PC (I'm not sure on the Mac), your virtual memory should be set to one and a half times whatever your Ram is.

2gb Ram = 3000mb virtual memory
4gb Ram = 6000mb virtual memory
6gb Ram = 9000mb virtual memory
8gb Ram = 120000mb virtual memory

etc.

Hell, although I now have 8 gigabytes of Ram, I tried everything.

I went all the way down to 2000mb (2 GBs of virtual memory) and as high as 12000 megabytes (the proper setting) but, I settled for something in between. I'm not tellin' you what it is until I've had a chance to test drive the settings a little more but it seems to work fine.

In fact, so far, it works just as well as what I had it set on before the upgrade and better than the setting suggested by Microsoft - which allowed the Roxio program to freeze my system. I had to unplug and remove the battery to get going again.

Right now, I have six YouTube videos playing, a streaming app (Scottrade), MS Paint, and this blog, and there is stuttering only on one of the videos. It's playing faster than my system can load it. But, it's still a lot better than what I'm used to on my Acer or Dell.

Normally, I don't watch six videos at a time. This is just a test.

There are other ways to test the Ram which may include downloading some software online but I'm not putting that crap on my computer just yet. As long as it does what I need and want it to do, I'm satisfied. If not, I'll find something else to boost performance.

 Anyway... get the Ram modules. I think you'll be glad you did.




Hyperspace jump

Video provided by - SHISCO1
 

No comments:

Post a Comment