Tuesday, February 25, 2014

HAL 9000: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"


HAL 9000: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that" 




Don't allow your computer to keep you from taking control of your Destiny. Be the Master of your own Fate. * I just had a Revelation: I should apply this to my job too!

This is an update on the purchase of my new HP Envy J130us. Listen so that you don't run into the same problems.

Although my Toshiba L775D is no HAL, like in the Classic Movie, "2001, A Space Odyssey", it DOES have me by the gonads right now, because it houses a lot of the files and programs that I need to continue on with my mission. And, I can't transfer any of these files to my new computer.

I've tried to transfer these files to my new HP Envy, but for some reason, my new HP Envy doesn't acknowledge my Seagate external hard drive when I connect it to a USB port. Maybe it's because of the Windows 8.1 OS (operating system), but I'm not really sure. I'll have to search for some hardware drivers later to see if that will correct the problem.

If it does, I'll be able to share a lot of good info and videos with you that I've found about computer programs and optimization. And, maybe even some money-making opportunities.

Anyway...

I bought my Seagate 500 gigabyte external drive a few years ago from Best Buy, and it has always performed like a Champ - never failing or letting me down. I love it. I've got movies on there, music, articles, my ideas, notes, family pictures, books, audiobooks, ebooks... It's the bomb. It's like having my own portable cloud.

But, if I can't find a solution online to make it work with the HP Envy, I may have to upgrade to a new Seagate external drive with USB 3.0 capabilities - especially if I want to keep the drive on the Envy free of clutter. And, that will cost me more time and money to find out what this bad-boy can really do.




Another reason why this Toshiba has me by the balls is because, it works with my Rocketfish wireless keyboard and mouse. The HP Envy doesn't. It worked fine during the first session. But, after I took a break, closed the lid on the Envy, then went back to my research, the mouse had stopped working. I had to put the mouse a few inches away from Envy just to get it function.

The keyboard was unresponsive at first. Then it lagged (more than normal). Then it went back to working again.

Yeah, I also thought the batteries were losing their charge, but I replaced them with brand new batteries and there was no difference. Then, I went online to look for some hardware drivers, but I didn't find any. So, I'm still using the Toshiba 95% of the time.

There has always been a delay with this Rocketfish wireless keyboard and mouse when I first start a session or start typing (and it is very annoying), but it works. And, as much as I want to use my new HP Envy, I don't want to have to work for long periods of time with that heavy-ass 17 inch computer on my lap. This is a dense computer that's very solid and weighs like there's a bar of steel buried right in the center of it.

Ah, but I DO have to comment on the "resting feel" of the HP Envy 17 when it's on my lap:

Maybe it's the way its designed, but it actually doesn't feel all that uncomfortable when resting on my lap. In fact, I really don't notice the actual weight of this solid high density computer.

But, I still don't want to have to pick it up and put it down and pick it up and put it down every time I need to make a move or get out of bed. That's annoying also. I'd rather have the wireless keyboard and mouse to carry and keep the laptop stationary - regardless of whether I want to sit in a chair and work or lie down in bed and work. And, since the Toshiba provides this convenience, I have no choice but to use it as my primary machine.





But, oh, how I want to get my greedy little hands on that HP J130us Envy... It's lying here beside me.

But, what can I do with it?

The Toshiba has Windows 7 on it... Need I say more?

So, I guess, right now, the Toshiba Satellite is the boss...

And, I'm just a little pee-on getting pissed on (again).

Man, it's the story of my life... I can't win for losing.

Anyway, be wary of compatibility issues before you buy your new system. Get accessories and programs that are equipped to work with whatever operating system you will have on your new machine. If you don't, you're going to have to wait to get the most out of your new purchase. And, you're going to have to spend MORE money to replace the good accessories you already have.


Video provided by KlingonSpider

- PC Power Junkie


1 comment:

  1. Have you finally used your new HP envy for video editing ?
    I was going to get one next few days keen to know if you have tried camtasia or sony vegas on it for video editing and any lag problems

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete